A Few Words of Appreciation for Conference Reporters
by Bonita Wilson
Measuring Mass Text Digitization Quality and Usefulness: Lessons Learned from Assessing the OCR Accuracy of the British Library's 19th Century Online Newspaper Archive
Simon Tanner and Trevor Muñoz, King's College London; and Pich Hemy Ros, Digital Divide Data
21st Century Shipping: Network Data Transfer to the Library of Congress
Michael Ashenfelder, Library of Congress
Semantic Integration of Collection Description: Combining CIDOC/CRM and Dublin Core Collections Application Profile
Irene Lourdi and Christos Papatheodorou, Ionian University; and Martin Doerr, Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas
Report on the 2009 ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries: Austin, Texas June 15-19, 2009
Michael L. Nelson, Old Dominion University
JCDL 2009 Workshop Report: Lightweight User-Friendly Evaluation Knowledge for Digital Librarians
Michael Khoo, Drexel University; George Buchanan, City University, London; and Sally Jo Cunningham, University of Waikato
Report on the First International Workshop on Innovation in Digital Preservation (InDP 2009)
Frank McCown, Harding University; and Hannes Kulovits and Andreas Rauber, Vienna University of Technology
Interactive Visual Information Collections and Activity 2009
Frank Shipman, Texas A&M University
Doing So Much More: The Fourth Annual International Conference on Open Repositories (OR09)
Carol Minton Morris, Cornell University
ELPUB 2009 - Rethinking Electronic Publishing: Innovation in Communication Paradigms and Technologies
Elena Giglia and Paola Galimberti, Università degli Studi di Torino
Report on the 2nd African Digital Scholarship and Curation Conference
Martie van Deventer, South African Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR); and Heila Pienaar, University of Pretoria
East Carolina University, Joyner Library Digital Collections
Gretchen Gueguen, East Carolina University
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Access to Learning Award
Steven Bergen, U.S. Civilian Research & Development Foundation
High Precision and Recall: Focuss.Info as Community-driven Search Engine
Richard Lalleman, Focuss.Info Initiative
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
1910 Postcard of Dr. Hardy's drugstore on the
Pamlico River, Washington, N.C. Depicts a dock and shipping. Courtesy of East Carolina University. Used with permission.
This month's featured collection is the East Carolina University, Joyner Library Digital Collections.
Point to Point
- Fifth International Symposium on Digital Libraries (V SIBD), 27 - 28 October 2009, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 2 August 2009.
- AdMIRe: International Workshop on Advances in Music Information Research 2009, 14 - 16 December 2009, San Diego, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 2 August 2009.
- Workshop on Multilinguality in
Information Access to Digital Libraries - MLIA4DL 2009, 9 September 2009, Trento, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline for extended abstracts is 5 August 2009.
- Third ACM International Conference on
Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM) 2010, 4 - 6 February 2010, New York City, New York, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 6 August 2009.
- Workshop on Collaborative Construction, Management and Linking of Structured Knowledge, 25 October 2009, Fairfax, Virginia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 10 August 2009.
- The First International Workshop on
Living Web: Making Web Diversity a true asset, 25 October 2009, Fairfax, Virginia, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 11 August 2009.
- The Fourth International Workshop on Ontology Matching (OM-2009), 25 October 2009, Fairfax, Virginia, USA. (Co-located with the 8th International Semantic Web Conference.) Call for papers. The submission deadline is 11 August 2009.
- 8th European Conference on Digital Archiving, 28 - 30 April 2010, Geneva, Switzerland. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 31 August 2009.
- 25th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2010) Special Track on: Information Access and Retrieval
, 22 - 26 March 2030, Sierre, Switzerland. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 8 September 2009.
- 2nd ISPIM Innovation
Symposium - Stimulating Recovery - The Role of Innovation Management, 6 - 9 December 2009, New York City, New York, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 13 September 2009.
- International Conference on Digital Libraries (ICDL 2010), 23 - 26 February 2010, New Delhi, India. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 September 2009.
- Fourteenth Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2009), 4 December 2009, Sydney, Australia Call for papers. The submission deadline is 28 September 2009.
- Future Internet: Special Issue on Web Information Behavior. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 October 2009.
- Emerging trends in technology: libraries between Web 2.0, semantic web and search technology, (an IFLA satellite preconference sponsored by the
Information Technology Section), 19 - 20 August 2009, Florence, Italy
- IFLA Satellite Conference on Serials Preservation - Preserving the Cultural Legacy of Serials:
from Conservation (Print and Manuscript) to Reformatting (Many Formats) to Digital (Bytes), 19 - 21 August 2009, Bolzano, Italy
- The 1st IEEE International Conference on Scalable Computing and Communications, 23 - 25 August 2009, Dalian, China
- alford Data Mining Conference 2009, 23 - 25 August 2008, San Diego, California, USA
- World Library and Information Congress: 75th IFLA General Conference and Council: Libraries create futures: Building on cultural heritage, 23 - 27 August 2009, Milan, Italy
- The 12th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, 29 - 31 August 2009, Vancouver, Canada
- Kaleidoscope-2009: Innovations for Digital Inclusion, 31 August - 1 September 2009, Mar del Plata, Argentina
- I-KNOW - 9th International
Conference for Knowledge Management and Knowledge Technologies, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria
- The 7th Brazilian Symposium in Information and Human Language Technology (STIL), 7 - 11 September 2009, São Carlos, Brazil
- Third International Conference on Internet Technologies and Applications (ITA 09), 8 - 11 September 2009, Wrexham, North East Wales, United Kingdom
- The International Conference for Digital Libraries and the Semantic Web 2009 (ICSD2009) , 8 - 11 September 2009, Trento, Italy
- 2nd International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval, 10 - 11 September 2009, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 3rd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval, 11 - 16 September 2009, Petrozavodsk, Russia
- 12th International Conference of Text, Speech and Dialogue TSD 2009, 12 - 18 September 2009, Pilsen, Czech Republic
- 1st Conference on Open Access Scholarly Publishing
(COASP), 14 - 16 September 2009, Lund, Sweden
- University of Maryland Center for Intellectual Property Online Workshop - Copyright Education Programs: Teaching the Ethical and Legal Use of Information, 14 - 25 September 2009. (This is an online conference. Register by September 7.)
- 2009 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence (WI'09) and Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT'09), 15 - 18 September 2009, Milan, Italy
- XI All-Russian Scientific Conference RCDL'2009, 17 - 21 September 2009, Petrozavodsk, Russia
- IEEE 2009 International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD-II 2009), 21 - 25 September 2009, Bangalore, India
- eHealth 2009 Second International ICST Conference on Electronic Healthcare for the 21st century, 23 - 25 September 2009, Istanbul, Turkey
- 13th European Conference on Digital Libraries, 27 September - 2 October 2009, Corfu, Greece
- Fourth European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning: "Learning in the Synergy of Multiple Disciplines", 29 September - 2 October 2009, Nice, France
- Third International Conference on Metadata and Semantic Research (MTSR'09), 30 September - 2 October 2009, Milan, Italy
- 2009 IDF Open Meeting: "Ensuring Persistence", 7 October 2009, San Francisco, California, USA
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2009 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Article