A Word to the Web Wise
To the Editor:
Futures: Strategies for the Information Age
Marilyn Deegan and Simon Tanner, Library
Association Publishing, 2002
Reviewed by: Stephen Paul Davis, Columbia University
"For the novice in the field of digital librariesthe student
or new practitionerit would be hard to find a better
introductory text than this."
Copyright © Ronald Saari. Used with
permission. The photograph above is from Diner City, D-Lib
collection this month.
The National Digital
Information Infrastructure Preservation Program:
Expectations, Realities, Choices and Progress to Date
Amy Friedlander, Ph.D., Council on Library and Information
Metadata Principles and Practicalities
Erik Duval, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven;
Wayne Hodgins, Autodesk; Stuart Sutton, University of Washington; and
Stuart L. Weibel, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
Challenges for Service
Providers When Importing Metadata in Digital
Marilyn McClelland, David
McArthur, and Sarah Giersch, CollegisEduprise; and Gary Geisler,
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Integrated and Aggregated
Reference Services: The Automation of Drudgery
Adam Hodgkin, xrefer.com Ltd.
An Update on the
Digital Preservation Coalition
Neil Beagrie, Joint Information Systems Committee
Ronald Saari, Diner City
The Middle East Virtual
Library - MENALIB
Lutz Wiederhold, State and
University Library Saxony-Anhalt
ATEEL (Advanced Technology Environmental Education Library)
Christine Walker, Advanced Technology Environmental Education Center and Eastern Iowa Community College District
Testbed Digitale Bewaring:
Working to Preserve the Digital Memory
Potter and Carolien Nout, Testbed Digitale Bewaring
OAI-PMH Project at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Joanne Kaczmarek, University of Illinois
The Cornucopia Database of UK
Nick Poole, Resource: The Council
for Museums, Archives and Libraries
Electronic Textbook Design
Ruth Wilson, University of
The National Library Board (NLB) Hosts Successful Section of Public Libraries (SPL) IFLA
Mary Lee, National Library Board,
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
- EurAsia-ICT 2002 Workshop, 29 - 31 October 2002, Tehran, Iran. Call for Workshop Proposals. The deadline for submissions is 1 May 2002.
- Usability for Digital Libraries, 18 July 2002, Portland, Oregon, USA. Call for Papers. The deadline for submissions is 7 May 2002.
- ACRL 11th National Conference, Association of College & Research Libraries, 10 – 13 April 2003, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. Call for Participation. The deadline for submissions of contributed papers, panel sessions, workshops, and preconference subcommittee co-chairs is 31 May 2002.
- Preservation and Conservation Issues Related to Digital Printing and Digital Photography, Second International Conference, 3 - 4 April 2003, London, United Kingdom. Call for Papers. The deadline for submissions is 31 May 2002.
- Special Issue on Information Customization Systems, IEEE Intelligent Systems. Call for Submissions. The deadline for submissions is 11 July 2002.
- 2002 ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, in conjunction with the 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS-9), 18 November 2002, Washington, DC, USA. Call for Papers. The deadline for submissions is 15 July 2002.
- Grants to State Library Agencies, Institute of Museum and Library Services. Call for Program Proposals. The deadline for submissions is 31 July 2002.
- Creating a European Forum for Open Archives Activities, 13 - 14 May 2002, Pisa Italy.
- 23rd IATUL Annual Conference, Partnerships, Consortia, and 21st Century Library Service, International Association of Technological University Libraries, 2 - 6 June 2002, Kansas City, Missouri, USA.
- 4th DELOS Workshop, Evaluation of digital libraries: Testbeds, measurements, and metrics, 6 - 7 June 2002, Budapest, Hungary.
- Critical Issues in Arts and Technology for Arts Managers, An Extended Discussion of Art, Artists and Technology, 6 - 7 June 2002 and 13 - 15 June 2002, New York, New York, USA.
- 2002 International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS'02): Social Implications of Information and Communication Technology, 6 - 8 June 2002, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.
- IX International Conference (Crimea 2002): Electronic Resources and the Social Role of Libraries in the Future, 8 - 16 June 2002, Sudak, Autonomous Republic of Crimea, Ukraine.
- Grindstone Island Summer Programs, Archives and Museum Informatics, 8 June - 26 August 2002, Ontario, Canada.
- 1st International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2002), 9 - 12 June 2002, Sardinia, Italy.
- Introduction to Copyright, ALPSP Training, The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers, 11 June 2002 and 12 November 2002, London, United Kingdom.
- IASSIST 2002, Accelerating Access: Enhancing Collaboration and Dissemination, 11 - 15 June 2002, Storrs, Connecticut, USA.
- ACM SIGWEB 2002 Hypertext Conference, 11 - 15 June 2002, College Park, Maryland, USA
- 2nd Annual SCURL/SLAMIT e-books seminar, Scottish group of the Library Association Multimedia, Information & Technology Group, 14 June 2002, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Working with Open Source Software, ALA 2002 Preconference, 14 June 2002, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- ACRL Legislative Advocacy Workshop, ALA 2002 Preconference, 14 June 2002, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- ALA 2002 Annual Meeting and Exhibition, American Library Association, 15 - 18 June 2002, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- The Fifth
International Conference on Virtual Communities, 17 - 18 June 2002, Westminster, London, United Kingdom.
- IT Leadership in the 21st Century, 17 - 19 June 2002, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.
- Canadian Library Association 2002 Annual Conference and Trade Show, Inventing Our Future, 19 - 22 June 2002, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- NASIG 2002, Transforming Serials: The Revolution Continues, North American Serials Interest Group, 20 - 23 June 2002, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.
- 20th Brazilian Congress of Librarianship, Documentation and Information Science, 23 - 28 June 2002, Ceara, Brazil.
- 7th Biennial Participatory Design Conference, Participation and Design: Inquiring into the politics, contexts and practices of collaborative design work, 23 - 25 June 2002, Malmö, Sweden.
- Choices and Strategies for Preservation of the Collective Memory, International Conference, 25 - 29 June 2002, Dobbiaco/Toblach, Bolzano Province, Italy.
- 4th International JISC/CNI Conference, coordinated by UKOLN, 26 - 27 June 2002, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom.
- Expanded conversations: Collaborating for Student Learning, LOEX West 2002, 26 - 29 June 2002, Eugene, Oregon, USA.
- ASIS&T Content Management Symposium, 27 - 30 June 2002, Chicago, IL, USA.
- DLESE Annual Meeting 2002, Digital Library for Earth System Education, 30 June - 2 July 2002, Ithaca, New York, USA.
- ELAG 2002: Semantic Web and Libraries, European Library Automation Group
- Museums and the Web 2002, Archives & Museum Informatics
- ISMIR 2002 - 3rd International Conference on Music Information Retrieval
- OCLC Institute "Steering by Standards" Videoconference Series
- Workshop on Distributed Computing Architectures for Digital Libraries
- The First Eurasian Conference on Advances in Information and Communication Technology
- INFO'2002 - Information, Knowledge and Society: Challenges of a New Era
- CLIR International Workshop on Digital Preservation
- Planning in a Time of Rapid Technological Change
- Critical Cyberculture Studies: Mapping an Evolving Discipline
- Milestones Conference, The European Library (TEL) - The Gate to Europe's Knowledge
- Symposium 2003 - Preservation of Electronic Records: New Knowledge and Decision-making
- International Association of Libraries and Museums of the Performing Arts (SIBMAS)
- ICONIP'02, SEAL'02, FSKD'02, 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning, 2002 International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery
- 6th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries
- IMLS Program Deadlines - FY2002
- DLM-FORUM 2002
- The 11th International World Wide Web Conference
- 9th California Academic Research Libraries Conference
- Second International Workshop on Visual Interfaces to Digital Libraries
- CUMREC 2002 - Bringing HEAT Up North: Exploring New Landscapes for Administrative Technology
- InfoToday 2002
- WWW/Internet 2002
- Shaping the Network Society, DIAC-02 Symposium
- IRMA 2002: Issues and Trends of Information Technology Management in Contemporary Organizations
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA 2002)
- ACM CIKM 2002, Eleventh International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
- Scottish Library Association 88th Annual Conference
- AMIA 2002 Spring Congress Program
- XML Europe 2002 Conference and Exposition, Down to Business: Getting Serious About XML
- Libraries in the Digital Age (LIDA)
- The 140th ARL Membership Meeting - Building Capacities: New Strategies for Fund Raising & Recruitment,
- Multimedia Archive Preservation: a practical workshop
- Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng'02)
- International Digital Libraries Collaborative Research and Applications Testbeds
- Third International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation
- ICTs and Development: New Opportunities, Perspectives & Challenges - Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries
- Society for Scholarly Publishing 24th Annual Meeting - Collaboration, Controversy, and Common Sense
- CAIS/ACSI 2002 - Advancing Knowledge: Expanding Horizons for Information Science
- Off the Wall and Online: Providing Web Access to Cultural Collections
- Evaluating Human Language Technology: General Applications to Information Access and Management - A Special Issue of Knowledge Organization on Evaluation of Human Language Technology
- Workshop on Document Search Interface Design and Intelligent Access in Large-scale Collections
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN: The UK
Office for Library and Information Networking, Bath, England
National University Sunsite, Canberra, Australia
State Library of
Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano, Buenos
Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
Masthead | Guidelines for Authors |
| D-Lib Forum
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
the Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI), has been sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project
on behalf of the Digital Libraries
Initiative under Grant No. N66001-98-1-8908,
and is currently
being funded by the National Science
under Grant No. IIS-0122832.
Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright© 2002 Corporation for
National Research Initiatives
D-Lib has been registered to CNRI in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.