Social Networking Gets Serious
by Bonita Wilson
Time Challenges - Challenging Times for Future Information Search
Thomas Mestl, Olga Cerrato, Jon Ølnes, Per Myrseth, and Inger-Mette Gustavsen, Det Norske Veritas (DNV), Norway
EScience in Practice: Lessons from the Cornell Web Lab
William Arms, Manuel Calimlim, and Lucia Walle, Cornell University
Towards a Repository-enabled Scholar's Workbench: RepoMMan, REMAP and Hydra
Richard Green, Consultant to the University of Hull; and Chris Awre, University of Hull, United Kingdom
Evaluation of Digital Repository Software at the National Library of Medicine
Jennifer L. Marill and Edward C. Luczak, National Library of Medicine
NeoNote: Suggestions for a Global Shared Scholarly Annotation System
Bradley Hemminger, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
The Fierce Urgency of Now: A Proactive, Pervasive Content Awareness Tool
James E. Powell, Linn Marks Collins, and Mark L.B. Martinez, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Unlocking Audio: Towards an Online Repository of Spoken Word Collections in Flanders
Tom Evens and Laurence Hauttekeete, Ghent University, Belgium
Developer Happiness Days: Takin' it to the Pub
Carol Minton Morris, Cornell University; Ben O'Steen, Oxford University; and David Flanders, University of London
Southern Methodist University's Digital Collections
Cindy Boeke, Southern Methodist University
European Initiative to Facilitate Access to Research Data
Jan Brase, German National Library of Science and Technology
Nevada's Statewide Digital Initiative
Karen J. Starr, Nevada State Library and Archives
The Mark Twain's Mississippi Project
Drew E. VandeCreek, Northern Illinois University
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
"ACOMA" from DeForrest Judd's Taos Sketchbook in the DeForrest Judd Sketchbooks collection. Copyright Southern Methodist University. Used with permission.
This month D-Lib Magazine features Southern Methodist University's Digital Collections.
Point to Point
- DCC Digital Curation Manual: Call for authors and topics. The submission deadline is 1 June 2009
- IEEE 2009 International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD-II 2009), 21 - 25 September 2009, Bangalore, India. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 June 2009.
- International Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects (iPRES 2009), 5 - 6 October 2009, San Francisco, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts is 5 June 2009.
- WEMIS 2009: Workshop on Exploring Musical Information Spaces, 1 - 2 October 2009, Corfu, Greece. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 14 June 2009.
- The International ACM Conference on Management of Emergent Digital EcoSystems (MEDES'09), 27 - 30 October 2009, Lyon, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2009.
- Cultural Heritage online: Empowering users: an active role for user communities, 15 - 16 December 2009, Florence, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2009.
- 2nd International Conference
The Future of Information Sciences (INFuture), 4 - 6 November 2009, Zagreb, Croatia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2009.
- PersDB 2009
3rd International Workshop on Personalized Access, Profile Management, and Context Awareness in Databases, 28 August 2009, Lyon, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 26 June 2009.
- IADIS International WWW/Internet 2009 Conference, 19 - 22 November 2009, Rome Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 26 June 2009.
- Second Workshop on "Very Large Digital Libraries", 1 - 2 October 2009, Corfu, Greece. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 29 June 2009.
- The 5th International Conference on Signal Image Technology and Internet Based
Systems (SITIS'09), 29 November - 4 December 2009, Marrakech, Morocco. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 June 2009.
- 5th International Digital Curation Conference "Moving to Multi-Scale Science: Managing Complexity and Diversity", 2 - 4 December 2009, London, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 24 July 2009.
- International Conference on Academic Libraries (ICAL-2009), 5 - 8 October 2009, New Delhi, India. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 July 2009.
- Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) 2009, 15 - 19 June 2009, Austin, Texas, USA
- TrebleCLEF Summer School on Multilingual Information Access, 15 - 19 June 2009, Pisa, Italy
- International Conference Informatics 2009, 17 - 19 June 2009, Algarve, Portugal
- CERN Workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI6), 17 - 19 June 2009, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2009 Symposium on Interactive Visual Information Collections and Activity (IVICA), 19 June 2009, Austin, Texas, USA
- 2009 ISPIM Conference - The Future of Innovation, 21 - 23 June 2009, Vienna, Austria
Preservation - the Planets way, 22 - 24 June 2009, Copenhagen, Denmark (Note: registration is limited. Register early.)
- Information: Interactions and Impact (i3), 22 - 25 June 2009, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP), 22 - 26 June, Trento, Italy
- The Second International m-Libraries Conference, 23 - 24 June 2009, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- The 3rd International Conference on Information Security and Assurance, 25 - 27 June 2009, Seoul, Korea
- The 11th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC-09), 25 - 27 June 2009, Seoul, Korea
- DigCCurr Professional Institute: Curation Practices for the Digital Object Lifecycle, First session: 21 - 26 June 2009, Second session: 6 - 7 January 2010, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
- Hypertext 2009: The Twentieth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia , 29 June - 1 July 2009, Torino, Italy
- 5th International Evidence Based Library & Information Practice Conference, 29 June - 3 July 2009, Stockholm, Sweden
- 6th World Conference of Science Journalists, 30 June - 2 July, 2009, London, United Kingdom
- LIBER 38th Annual General Conference: Innovation through Collaboration, 30 June - 3 July 2009, Toulouse, France
- 6th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO 2009), 2 - 5 July 2009, Milan, Italy
- 7th IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS), 6 - 10 July 2009, Los Angeles, California, USA
- The 1st International Symposium on Cyber-Physical Intelligence, 7 - 10 July 2009, Brisbane, Australia
- American Library Association Annual Conference 2009, 9 - 15 July 2009, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- 8th International Conference on Mathematical Knowledge Management MKM 2009, 10 - 12 July 2009, Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
- 6th International Conference on Cybernetics and Information Technologies, Systems and Applications: CITSA 2009, 10 - 13 July 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA
- The 2nd International Symposium on Academic Globalization: AG 2009, 10 - 13 July 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA
- 3rd International Conference on Knowledge Generation, Communication and Management: KGCM 2009, 10 - 13 July 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA
- The 2nd International Multi-Conference on Engineering and Technological Innovation: IMETI 2009, 10 - 13 July 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA
- WORLDCOMP'09: The 2009 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing, 13 - 16 July 2009, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 2009 multi-conference (MULTICONF-09) in computer science, information technology, computer engineering, computational science, control and automation technology, 13 - 16 July 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA
- 32nd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference, 19 - 23 July 2009, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Sixteenth International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, 23 - 25 July 2009, Brixen, Italy
- Institutional Web Management Workshop 2009, 28 - 30 July 2009, Colchester, United Kingdom
- The First International Conference on 'Networked Digital Technologies', 28 - 31 July 2009, Ostrava, The Czech Republic
- Digital Libraries à la Carte 2009, 28 July - 5 August 2009, Tilburg University, the Netherlands
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2009 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | Commentary | First Article