In This Month's Issue of D-Lib Magazine
A Challenge for the Library Acquisition Budget
Arthur Sale, University of Tasmania
Digital Preservation Service Provider Models for Institutional Repositories: Towards Distributed Services
Steve Hitchcock, Tim Brody, Jessie M.N. Hey, and Leslie Carr, University of Southampton
Creating the Next Generation of Archival Finding Aids
Elizabeth Yakel, Seth Shaw, and Polly Reynolds, University of Michigan
Large Scale Digitization of Oral History: A Case Study
Eric Weig, Kopana Terry, and Kathryn Lybarger, University of Kentucky
Type-consistent Digital Objects
Kostas Saidis and Alex Delis, University of Athens
Among Harvard's thousands of daguerreotypes, researchers will find this ca. 1840 image (photographer unknown) of John Langdon Sibley, a Harvard alumnus of the Class of 1825, who served as the Harvard College Librarian from 1856 to 1877. Sibley's image is among the holdings of the Harvard University Archives.
Digital image © 2007, the President and Fellows of Harvard College. Used with permission.
This month, D-Lib features the Harvard University's Library Collections to the World.
Ten Major Issues in Providing a Repository Service in Australian Universities
Margaret Henty, Australian Partnership for Sustainable Repositories
Using Wikipedia to Extend Digital Collections
Ann M. Lally and Carolyn E. Dunford, University of Washington
Tea for Two: Bringing Informal Communication to Repositories
Ana Alice Baptista and Miguel Ferreira, University of Minho
Harvard University's Library Collections to the World
Peter Kosewski, Harvard University Library
BioMed Central expands with PhysMath Central
Christopher Leonard, PhysMath Central
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
- Second International Conference on Digital Information Management ICDIM 2007, 28 - 31 October 2007, Lyon, France. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 June 2007.
- Workshop on Web Personalization and Recommender Systems, held in conjunction with the 2007 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI'07) and Agent Technology (IAT'07), 2 - 5 November 2007, Silicon Valley, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 20 June 2007.
- 10th International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2007), 10 - 13 December 2007, Hanoi, Vietnam. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 25 June 2007.
- 9th ACM International Workshop on Web Information and Data Management (WIDM 2007) , 9 November 2007, Lisbon, Portugal. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 26 June 2007.
- International Journal of Digital Libraries (IJDL), Special Issue on Very Large Digital Libraries (VLDL). Call for papers. The submission deadline is July 1, 2007.
- International Journal of Internet Research Ethics, (IJIRE). Papers are now being accepted for the premier issue of the IJIRE, which is scheduled for October 2007.
- ACM IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries 2007, 17 - 23 June 2007, Vancouver, British, Columbia, Canada
- Handle System Workshop, 21 June 2007, Washington, DC, USA
- International DOI Foundation (IDF) Meetings, 21 - 22 June 2007, Washington, DC, USA
- 2007 ICSTI Public Conference: Assessing the quality and impact of research: practices and initiatives in scholarly information, 21 - 22 June 2007, Nancy, France
- American Library Association Annual Conference, 21 - 27 June 2007, Washington, DC, USA
- The 2007 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing WORLDCOMP'07 (composed of 24 Joint Conferences), 25 - 28 June 2007, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- ED-MEDIA 2007, 25 - 29 June 2007, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- 11th International Conference on User Modeling, 25 - 29 June 2007, Corfu, Greece
- 27th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS-2007), 25 - 29 June 2007, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 3rd Annual Communities and Technologies Conference, 28 - 30 June 2007, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
- Joint Technical Symposium 2007 : AudioVisual Heritage and the Digital Universe, 28 - 30 June 2007, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- IADIS International Conference e-Society 2007, 3 - 6 July 2007, Lisbon, Portugal
- IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems 2007 , 3 - 8 July 2007, Lisbon, Portugal
- AMR 2007 - 5th International Workshop on Adaptive Multimedia Retrieval, 5 - 6 July 2007, Paris, France
- SEDE-2007: ISCA 16th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering, 9 - 11 July 2007, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 0th annual International Open Forum for Metadata Registries, 9 - 11 July 2007, New York, New York, USA
- International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Pattern Recognition (AIPR-07), 9 - 12 July 2007, Orlando, Florida, USA
- International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems and Web Technologies (EISWT-07), 9 - 12 July 2007, Orlando, Florida, USA
- International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking and Communication Systems (HPCNCS-07), 9 - 12 July 2007, Orlando, Florida, USA
- International Conference on Software Engineering Theory and Practice (SETP-07), 9 - 12 July 2007, Orlando, Florida, USA
- 2007 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2007), 9 - 13 July 2007, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- EVA London 2007 (Electronic Information, the Visual Arts and Beyond), 11 - 13 July 2007, London, United Kingdom
- SMC07 4th Sound and Music Computing Conference, 11 - 13 July, 2007, Lefkada, Greece
- Public Knowledge Project Conference 2007, 11 - 13 July 2007, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- 5th International Conference on Politics and Information Systems, Technologies and Applications (PISTA 2007), 12 - 15 July 2007, Orlando, Florida, USA
- INDEST-AICTE National Workshop on E-Resources Management for Excellence, 16 - 18 July 2007, Chennai, India
- 9th IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology (CEC'07) and the 4th IEEE Conference on Enterprise Computing, E-Commerce and E-Services (EEE'07), 23 - 26 July 2007, Tokyo, Japan
- The 30th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference, 23 - 27 July 2007, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- SIGGRAPH 2007: The 34th International Conference and Exhibition on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 5 - 9 August 2007, San Diego, California, USA
- 23rd Annual Conference on Distance Teaching & Learning , 8 - 10 August 2007, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Thirteenth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 12 - 15 August 2007, San Jose, California, USA
- Twenty-Sixth Annual ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing
(PODC 2007), 12 - 15 August 2007, Portland, Oregon, USA
- The Sixth International Conference on Conceptions of Library and Information Science: (COLIS 2007), 13 - 16 August 2007, Borås, Sweden
- World Library and Information Congress: 73rd IFLA General Conference and Council "Libraries for the future: Progress, Development and Partnerships" 19 - 23 August 2007, Durban, South Africa.
- The Sixth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context, 20 - 24 August 2007, Roskilde, Denmark
- 2nd International Conference on Global Software Engineering (ICGSE), 27 - 30 August 2007, Munich, Germany
- DC-2007: International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, 27 - 31 August 2007, National Library Board, Singapore
- Digital Libraries à la Carte 2007, 27 - 31 August 2007, Tilburg, The Netherlands
- 6th European Summer School in Information Retrieval (ESSIR 2007), 27 - 31 August 2007, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
2007 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial
First Article | Opinion