Some Results from the 2008 D-Lib Magazine Survey
by Bonita Wilson
What's Wrong with Citation Counts?
José H. Canós Cerdá and Manuel Llavador Campos, Technical University of Valencia, Spain; and Eduardo Mena Nieto, University of Zaragoza, Spain
Going Grey? Comparing the OCR Accuracy Levels of Bitonal and Greyscale Images
Tracy Powell and Gordon Paynter, National Library of New Zealand
How Good Can It Get? Analysing and Improving OCR Accuracy in Large Scale Historic Newspaper Digitisation Programs
Rose Holley, National Library of Australia
Profiling Social Networks: A Social Tagging Perspective
Ying Ding and Elin K Jacob, Indiana University; James Caverlee, Texas A&M University; Michael Fried, University of Innsbruck, Austria; and Zhixiong Zhang, Chinese Academy of Science
Digitization Education: Courses Taken and Lessons Learned
Mats Dahlström and Alen Doracic, Swedish School of Library and Information Science
Toward Digitizing All Forms of Documentation
George V. Landon, Eastern Kentucky University
International Data curation Education Action (IDEA) Working Group: A Report from the Second Workshop of the IDEA
Carolyn Hank, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and Joy Davidson, University of Glasgow
Report on the 2nd Ibero-American Conference on Electronic Publishing in the Context of Scholarly Communication (CIPECC 2008)
Ana Alice Baptista, University of Minho, Portugal
The Washington College of Law Historical Collection
Susan McElrath, American University and Allison B. Zhang, Washington Research Library Consortium
Reflective Learning for the Net Generation
John Sandars, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
The SKUA Project: Prototyping a Distributed Network of Semantically Aware Shared Annotation Services
Norman Gray and Tony Linde, University of Leicester, United Kingdom; and Kona Andrews, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
The Erewhon Project: More Comprehensive Location-based Services
Tim Fernando, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Ellen Spencer Mussey, founder of Washington College of Law. Courtesy of the Washington College of Law Historical Collection, American University Library. Used with permission.
This month D-Lib's featured collection is The Washington College of Law Historical Collection.
Point to Point
- 2nd International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval, 10 - 11 September 2009, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 17 April 2009.
- IC3K- International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management, 6 - 8 October 2009, Madeira, Portugal. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 21 April 2009.
- International Joint Conference on Computational Intelligence, 5 - 7 October 2009, Madeira, Portugal. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 28 April 2009.
- 4th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions 2009 (ICITST-2009), 9 - 12 November, London, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline for extended abstracts is 30 April.
- 2nd International Workshop on Social and Personal Computing for Web-Supported Learning Communities
(SPeL 2009), As part of the 2009 IEEE / WIC / ACM International Joint Conferences Web Intelligence (WI'09) and Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT'09), 15 - 18 September 2009, Milan, Italy. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 April 2009.
- Workshop on text and citation analysis for scholarly digital libraries (NLPIR4DL), 7 August 2009, Singapore. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 May 2009.
- Second International Workshop on Logics for Agents and Mobility (LAM'09), 9 - 10 August 2008, Los Angeles, California, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 May 2009.
- 8th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2009) 25 - 29 October 2009, Fairfax, Virginia, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 May 2009.
- eHealth 2009 Second International ICST Conference on Electronic Healthcare for the 21st century, 23 - 25 September 2009, Istanbul, Turkey. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 1 May 2009.
- 3rd ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, 22 - 25 October 2009, New York City, New York, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 8 May 2009.
- Doctoral Research on Information Technologies Related with Digital Libraries, at RCDL'2009, 17 - 21 September 2009, Petrozavodsk, Russia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 May 2009.
- Fourth International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM 2009), 1 - 4 November 2009, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline for papers is 31 May 2009.
- First International Conference on
Cloud Computing, 19 - 21 October 2009, Munich, Germany. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 5 June 2009.
- 4th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions 2009 (ICITST-2009): Special Tracks, 9 - 12 November, London, United Kingdom. Call for papers. The submission deadline for abstracts for Special Tracks is 12 June 2009.
- Museums and the Web, 15 - 19 April 2009, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Digital Dilemmas Symposium: Challenges + Opportunities + Solutions, 16 April 2009, New York, New York, USA
- Curating Research 2009: e-Merging New Roles and Responsibilities in the European Landscape 17 April 2009, The Hague, The Netherlands
- 3rd Workshop on Information Credibility on the Web (WICOW 2009), 20 April 2009, Madrid, Spain
- Semantic Search 2009 Workshop, 21 April 2009, Madrid, Spain
- European Library Automation Group - 32nd ELAG Library Systems Seminar, 22 - 24 April 2009, Bratislava, Slovakia
- 6th International Conference on Information Technology: New Generations
ITNG 2009, 27 - 29 April 2009, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 2nd Workshop on Advances in Accessing the Deep Web (ADW 2009), 27 - 29 April 2009, Poznan, Poland
- Digital Futures: from digitization to delivery, 27 April - 1 May 2009, London, United Kingdom
- Workshop on Digital Preservation Management: Short-Term Solutions for Long-Term
Problems, 3 - 8 May 2009, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
- Archiving 2009, 4 - 7 May 2009, Arlington, Virginia, USA
- The 3rd International Symposium on Service, Security and its Data management technologies in Ubi-comp, 4 - 7 May 2009, Geneva, Switzerland
- 11th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS), 6 - 10 May 2009, Milan, Italy
- Eighth International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi Agent Systems, including the Eighth International Workshop on Agents and Peer-to-Peer Computing (AP2PC09) 10 - 15 May 2009, Budapest, Hungary
- E-books and E-content 2009, 12 May 2009, London, United Kingdom
- African Digital Scholarship & Curation 2009, 12 - 14 May 2009, Pretoria, South Africa
- Open Repositories (OR) 2009, 18 - 21 May 2009, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Eduserv Symposium 2009: Fostering an Identity and Access Management Commons for e-Research, 21 May 2009, London, United Kingdom
- Symposium on Teaching with Digital Collections in the Liberal Arts Curriculum, 21 - 23 May 2009, Portland, Oregon
- International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries (QQML2009), 26 - 29 May 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece
- IASSIST/IFDO 2009, 26 - 29 May 2009, Tampere, Finland
- INFORUM 2009: 15th Conference on Professional Information Resources, 27 - 29 May 2009, Prague, Czech Republic
- Digital Directions: Fundamentals of Creating and Managing Digital Collections, 27 - 29 May 2009, San Diego, California, USA
- Inspiration, Innovation, Celebration: an Entreprenurial Conference for Librarians, 3 - 4 June 2009, Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
- The 3rd International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (MUE 2009), 4 - 7 June 2009, Qingdao, China
- NASIG 24th Annual Conference: Riding the Rapids Through a Mountain of Change, 4 - 7 June 2009, Asheville, North Carolina, USA
- 2009 Digital Humanities Summer Institute, 9 - 12 June 2009, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- ELPUB 2009, 10 - 12 June 2009, Milan, Italy
- ETD 2009, The 12th International Symposium on Electronic Theses and Dissertations, 10 - 13 June 2009, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- Special Libraries Conference 2009, 14 - 17 June 2009, Washington, DC, USA
- Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) 2009, 15 - 19 June 2009, Austin, Texas, USA
- TrebleCLEF Summer School on Multilingual Information Access, 15 - 19 June 2009, Pisa, Italy
- Information: Interactions and Impact (i3), 22 - 25 June 2009, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
2009 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | Opinion | First Article