Special Issue on Digital Technology and Indigenous Communities
by Bonita Wilson
Issues Regarding the Application of Information Technology in Indigenous Communities
Guest Editorial by Daniel E. Atkins and Maurita Peterson Holland, University of Michigan
To the Editor: Letters
Digital Division Is Cultural Exclusion. But Is Digital Inclusion Cultural Inclusion?
Karen Worcman, Museum of the Person
We Come from around the World and Share Similar Visions
Maurita Peterson Holland, University of Michigan
Oksale: An Indigenous Approach to Creating a Virtual Library of Education Resources
Loriene Roy, University of Texas at Austin, and Peter Larsen, St. Edward's University
Whose Rules? Intellectual Property, Culture and Indigenous Communities
Michael Seadle, Michigan State University
Painting by Marika Baumgart, winner of the National Aborigines' and Islanders' Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) Art Award 2001.
Copyright © ATSIC 2002. Used with permission. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) web site is D-Lib Magazine's featured collection this month.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC)
Matthew Bullock, ATSIC
New Protocols for Gazetteer and Thesaurus Services
Linda Hill, University of California, Santa Barbara
Research and Development in Advanced Network Technology (RADIANT)
Wu-chun Feng, Los Alamos National Laboratory
LinkOut - Explore beyond PubMed and Entrez
Y. Kathy Kwan, National Library of Medicine
Launch of OAIster Project
Kat Hagedorn, University of Michigan
Introducing the Victorian Electronic Records Strategy (VERS)
Justine Heazlewood, Public Record Office Victoria (Australia)
CRUMB - Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss
Beryl Graham, University of Sunderland
Inaugural Meeting of the ACRL Media Resources Discussion Group
Jill Ortner, State University of New York at Buffalo
Physicists Gain Online Research Tool That Will Save Thousands of Hours Yearly
Christine Lafon, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
In the News: Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Point to Point
Calls for Participation
- IADIS WWW/Internet 2002, IADIS International Conference, International Association for Development of the Information Society, 13 - 15 November 2002, Lisbon, Portugal. Call for Papers. The deadline for submissions is 15 May 2002.
- ACM CIKM 2002, Eleventh International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 4 - 9 November 2002, McLean, Virginia, USA. Call for Papers. The deadline for submissions is 20 May 2002.
- Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng'02), 8 - 9 November 2002, McLean, Virginia, USA. Call for Papers. Abstracts are due on 24 May 2002.
- International Digital Libraries Collaborative Research and Applications Testbeds, NSF-02-085 Program Solicitation. Call for Proposals. The deadline for submissions is 27 May 2002.
- Evaluating Human Language Technology: General Applications to Information Access and Management, A Special Issue of Knowledge Organization on Evaluation of Human Language Technology. Guest Editor: Widad Mustafa El Hadi, University of Lille 3, France. Call for Papers. The deadline for submission is 31 May 2002.
- ICDM '02, the 2002 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, The conference date has been changed to 9 - 12 December 2002, Maebashi City, Japan. Call for Papers. The deadline for submission is 5 June 2002.
- ICADL 2002, Digital Libraries: People, Knowledge & Technology, 11 - 14 December 2002, Singapore. Call for Papers. Abstracts are due on 20 June 2002.
- What Scholars Need to Know to Publish Today: Digital Writing and Access for Readers , 8 April 2002, Albany, New York, USA.
- DLM-FORUM 2002, 7 - 8 May 2002, Barcelona, Spain.
- The 11th International World Wide Web Conference, 7 - 11 May 2002, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- 9th California Academic Research Libraries Conference, 9 - 12 May 2002, Monterey, California, USA.
- CUMREC 2002 - Bringing HEAT Up North: Exploring New Landscapes for Administrative Technology, 12 - 15 May 2002, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- InfoToday 2002, 14 - 16 May 2002, New York, New York, USA.
- Shaping the Network Society, DIAC-02 Symposium, 16 - 19 May 2002, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Issues and Trends of Information Technology Management in Contemporary Organizations, Information Resources Management Association 2002 International Conference (IRMA 2002), 19 - 22 May 2002, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA 2002), 19 - 22 May 2002, Sydney, Australia.
- AMIA 2002 Spring Congress Program, American Medical Informatics Association, 20 - 22 May 2002, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA.
- XML Europe 2002 Conference and Exposition, Down to Business: Getting Serious About XML, 20 - 23 May 2002, Barcelona, Spain.
- Libraries in the Digital Age (LIDA), Sessions: Integrating Information Seeking and IR, and Information Services - Practice and Research, 21 - 26 May 2002, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Multimedia Archive Preservation: a practical workshop, 22 - 24 May 2002, London, United Kingdom.
- Creating a New Reference Librarianship, OCLC Institute, 20 - 22 May 2002, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Third International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 27 May - 2 June 2002, Canary Islands, Spain.
- ICTs and Development: New Opportunities, Perspectives & Challenges, Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) WG9.4, 29 - 31 May 2002, Bangalore, India.
- CAIS/ACSI 2002 - Advancing Knowledge: Expanding Horizons for Information Science, 30 May - 1 June 2002, Toronto, Canada.
- Off the Wall and Online: Providing Web Access to Cultural Collections, presented by the Northeast Document Conservation Center, 30 - 31 May 2002, Lexington, Massachusetts, USA.
- Web-Wise 2002
- Web-archiving: managing and archiving online documents and records
- OCLC Institute "Steering by Standards" Videoconference Series
- Digital Library - IT Opportunities and Challenges in the New Millennium
- IMLS Program Deadlines - FY2002
- New Developments in Digital Libraries, the Second International Workshop
- Texas Distance Learning Association (TxDLA) 2002
- Copyright Management in Higher Education
- 3rd European Conference on Organizational Knowledge, Learning, and Capabilities (OKLC 2002)
- Thesaurus Design for Semantic Information Management
- IVETA - TEND 2002
- 3rd International Conference on Information Technology
- E-Content 2002: Dreams and Realities
- 4th DELOS Workshop, Evaluation of digital libraries: Testbeds, measurements, and metrics
- NetLab Conference
- Content Management for Information Professionals
- Censorship and Free Access to Information in Libraries and on the Internet
- Access to Learning Award
- Seventh Search Engine Conference
- National Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education Digital Library (NSDL) Program Solicitation NSF-02-054
- ELAG 2002: Semantic Web and Libraries
- Museums and the Web 2002
- ISMIR 2002 - 3rd International Conference on Music Information Retrieval
- Workshop on Distributed Computing Architectures for Digital Libraries
- The First Eurasian Conference on Advances in Information and Communication Technology
- Knowledge Management - Methods & Systems
- INFO'2002, Information, Knowledge and Society: Challenges of a New Era
- CLIR International Workshop on Digital Preservation
- Planning in a Time of Rapid Technological Change
- Milestones Conference
- Symposium 2003 - Preservation of Electronic Records: New Knowledge and Decision-making
- International Association of Libraries and Museums of the Performing Arts (SIBMAS)
- ICONIP'02, SEAL'02, FSKD'02
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
Corporation for National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A. (originating site)
UKOLN: The UK Office for Library and Information Networking, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University Sunsite, Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Universidad de Belgrano, Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
Masthead | Guidelines for Authors | Access Terms
D-Lib Magazine is produced by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI), has been sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant No. N66001-98-1-8908,
and is currently being funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0122832.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
Copyright© 2002 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib has been registered to CNRI in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.