A Few Words of Appreciation to Digital Library Conference Organizers
by Bonita Wilson
From Henry Gladney, HMG Consulting
Copyright Renewal, Copyright Restoration, and the Difficulty of Determining Copyright Status
Peter B. Hirtle, Cornell University
Battle of the Buzzwords: Flexibility vs. Interoperability When Implementing PREMIS in METS
Rebecca S. Guenther, Library of Congress
A Format for Digital Preservation of Images: A Study on JPEG 2000 File Robustness
Paolo Buonora, Archivi di Stato; and Franco Liberati, Università degli Studi di Roma
Researcher Profiles and Portfolios: Use Cases of the Facebook Service and the University of Queensland Researchers Service
Belinda Weaver, University of Queensland
Google Still Not Indexing Hidden Web URLS
Kat Hagedorn and Joshua Santelli, University of Michigan
2008 Joint Conference on Digital Libraries Spans Culture and Technology
Carol Minton Morris, Cornell University
1st Collaborative Information Retrieval Workshop: Held in Conjunction with the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) 2008
Jeremy Pickens and Gene Golovchinksy, FXPAL; and Meredith Ringel Morris, Microsoft Research
Audubon's Birds of America at the University of Pittsburgh
Edward Galloway, University of Pittsburgh
A Digital Libraries Curriculum: Expert Review and Field Testing
Barbara M. Wildemuth, Jeffrey Pomerantz, and Sanghee Oh, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill; and Seungwon Yang, and Edward A. Fox, Virginia Tech
CrossRef Supports Digital Object Identifiers (DOI names) for Standards
Chuck Koscher, CrossRef
National Recognition for Lois Hole Campus Alberta Digital Library
The Alberta Library
In the News:
Recent Press Releases and Announcements
Plate CCLVI. Purple Heron, / Ardea rufescens, Buff. / Adult full spring plumage, 1. Young two Years old in spring plumage, 2. 1835. The Birds of America, Vols. I - IV, London. 1827-1838. Audubon, John James, 1785-1851. Used with permission.
This month D-Lib's featured collection is Audubon's Birds of America at the University of Pittsburgh.
Point to Point
- Webology: Special Issue on Folksonomies, the Web and Search Engines. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 15 August 2008.
- 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 8 - 12 March 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 16 August 2008.
- 3rd Annual Chicago Digital Humanities/Computer Science Colloquium, 1 - 3 November 2008, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 31 August 2008.
- The 1st ISPIM Symposium - Managing Innovation in a Connected World, 15 - 17 December 2008, Singapore. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 10 September 2008.
- CHI 2009: Digital Life, New World, 5 - 9 April 2009, Boston Massachusetts, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 19 September 2008.
- DigCCurr 2009: Digital Curation Practice, Promise and Prospects, 1 - 3 April 2009, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 30 September 2008.
- KDD '08: The 14th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 24 - 27 August 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- 17th International Conference on
Information Systems Development (ISD2008) 25 - 27 August 2008, Paphos, Cyprus
- Digital Libraries à la Carte 2008, 25 - 29 August 2008, Tilburg University, Tilburg, The Netherlands
- 2nd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval (RuSSIR), 1 - 5 September 2008, Taganrog, Russia.
- HCI2008 Culture, Creativity, Interaction, 1 - 5 September 2008, Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
- The Third International Conference on Legal, Security and Privacy Issues in IT (LSPI) together with the Second International Law and Trade Conference (ILTC)., 3 - 5 September 2008, Prague, Czech Republic
- 2nd European Conference on Scientific Publishing in Biomedicine & Medicine - Researchers and Open Access, 4 - 6 September 2008, Oslo, Norway
- 20th World Computer Congress (WCC 2008), 7 - 10 September 2008, Milan, Italy
- Eleventh International Conference on Text, Speech and Dialogue (TSD 2008), 8 - 10 September 2008, Brno, Czech Republic
- The International Symposium on Wikis, 8 - 10 September 2008, Porto, Portugal
- ALT-C 2008: Rethinking the digital divide, 9 - 11 September 2008, Leeds, United Kingdom
- ALPSP (Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers) International Conference 2008, 10 - 12 September 2008, Old Windsor, United Kingdom
- Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2008, 14 - 17 September 2008, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- ISMIR 2008, 14 - 18 September 2008, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries - ECDL 2008, 14 - 19 September 2008, Aarhus Denmark
- The annual conference of the International Documentation Committee of the International Council of Museums: The Digital Curation of Cultural Heritage, 15 - 18 September 2008, Athens, Greece
- 11th Information Security Conference, 15 - 18 September 2008, Taipei, Taiwan
- 11th International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR 2008), 16 - 19 September 2008, Sydney, Australia
- Workshop on Information Access to Cultural Heritage (IACH) 2008, 18 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark
- 2nd Workshop on Foundations of Digital Libraries, 18 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark
- The 7th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop, 19 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark
- First Workshop on Very Large Digital Libraries, 19 September 2008, Aarhus, Denmark
- The 27th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security, 22 - 25 September 2008, Newcastle, United Kingdom
- International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications (DC 2008), 22 - 26 September 2008, Berlin, Germany
- The IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS), 23 - 26 September 2008, Beijing, China
- Open Access and Research Conference 2008, 24 -25 September 2008, Brisbane, Australia
- iPRES 2008: The Fifth International Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects, 29 - 30 September 2008, London, United Kingdom
- 3rd International Conference on the Pragmatic Web, 29 - 30 September 2008, Uppsala, Sweden
- The 11th IASTED International Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education
(CATE 2008), 29 September - 1 October 2008, Crete, Greece
- The 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (Grid 2008), 29 September - 1 October 2008, Tsukuba, Japan
- EKAW 2008 - 16th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management
Knowledge Patterns, 29 September - 1 October 2008, Acitrezza, Catania, Italy
Sites for D-Lib Magazine:
National Research Initiatives, Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, England (mirror site)
The Australian National University,
Canberra, Australia (mirror site)
State Library of Lower Saxony and the University Library of Goettingen,
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (mirror site)
Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (mirror site)
BN - National Library of Portugal, Portugal (mirror site)
Guidelines for Authors
D-Lib Magazine is produced by
Corporation for National
Research Initiatives (CNRI). Prior to April 2006, the magazine was sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA)
on behalf of the Digital Libraries Initiative under Grant
and by the
National Science Foundation (NSF)
under Grant No. IIS-0243042.
Please send questions or comments to: email@example.com
2008 Corporation for National Research Initiatives
D-Lib is registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office.
Top | Editorial | First Article